Wednesday, April 8, 2009

I Did It! Knocked My Socks Off with the Crock Pot!

This is, hands down, the BEST Mac-n-Cheese I have ever tasted (although Rusty Bucket comes close). And it is, hands down, the BEST Crock Pot recipe I have ever made (which may or may not be saying much!)

It is full of Velveeta cheese so if you have a problem with that, stop right here. Tonight at dinner, Nick asked me what Veveeta cheese is, and frankly, I couldn't come up with an answer. I think I mumbled something about "processed cheese-food." But the way I figure it, if you're going to have Mac-n-Cheese, have Mac-n-Cheese. Just watch the portion size. I serve it with broccoli.

Crock Pot Mac and Cheese
16-oz elbow macaroni, cooked according to package directions. Stir in some butter after you drain it so it doesn't stick.
2 12-oz cans evaporated milk
3 cups milk
2-lb brick of Velveeta cut into 1-inch squares (you could probably scale this back to a pound and a half)
2 t salt
1/4 cup melted butter
Dried onion flakes (maybe about 1/4 cup)

Toss all ingredients into a Crock Pot. Cook on low 3-4 hours. Stir occasionally so the Velveeta chunks melt.

This makes a LOT. The original recipe called for a half pound of pasta, but what kind of family does a half pound of pasta feed? So I doubled it.

8 comments:

  1. I wonder if it would be good with low fat evaporated milk and low fat Velveeta since certainly part of the creamy texture is the starch from the pasta oozing off in the crockpot and making for silky texture? Then perhaps you wouldn't need to be cathed after a serving?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude! It is pretty awesome mac & cheese. Little Latte #1 is on his third helping. I used lowfat evaporated milk for one can, 1% milk, and lower fat Velveeta. Wonderful. I wonder if the liquid was increased just a squidge if you could add the macaroni uncooked and just let the whole thing cook longer? Might be worth a try, not that it's too much work to cook a pot of pasta. I also added Tabasco. Love it in mac & cheese. Strong work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So are you saying it worked with the lower fat items? It sounds delicious but I am afraid of what the heart might do after!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did make it with lowfat evaporated milk and 1% milk, plus the lower fat Velveeta. It was delicious, although I wouldn't want to eat it every day unless your cardiologist is looking poor. I think it would work with skim milk, but non-fat cheese "food" which has a tendency to not melt, in my experience. I think the starch from the pasta makes the texture especially creamy. The macaroni REALLY swells up. I made one batch and had enough for a meal for four, snacks for Daddy, and lunch twice for both kids. Good luck! Let us know how your version goes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome, making tonight, will let you know. Have already scheduled the cholestrol check, :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't do it! Don't get your cholesterol checked until you've gobbled every last bite of macaroni then eaten only salad and oatmeal and run 10 miles every day for a month.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They LOVED IT! The only comment from family was that it was actually a bit too thick. I used the full fat velveta as our grocery only carried that. However I used the skim milk and fat free evaporated milk. We will keep this recipe, it is perfect for days when each kid has a different activity and we can't have a family dinner. Keep these recipes coming! p.s. I did serve broccoli, which did not get such rave reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We'll do our best! Thanks for stopping by. Glad everything turned out well. Enjoy your cardiac cath.....

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis