Thursday, April 29, 2010

A bath for your greens: Creamy Italian Dressing

We were stuffed, full to the gills, fiber-ized to the roots of our hair. Still, my husband and fought over the last few leaves of lettuce. We could not let the salad go. The dressing was too good. Based on a recipe from Cooks Country, I urge you to try it today. The technique of warming up the garlic in the acid with an herb is pure genius.

Creamy Italian Dressing
(enough for two large salads)

3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese (I only had Romano and it worked just fine)
1 shallot, minced (Screw it. I didn't have one.)
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano (original recipe called for two, but that was a little too much "dried" for me)
1/2 cup mayonnaise (I used lowfat Duke's, my favorite)
1/4 cup yogurt (they called for sour cream, but I used Greek yogurt)
1/2 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper

  1. Whisk vinegar, cheese, shallot, garlic, oregano, and pepper flakes in a little bowl.
  2. Put it in the microwave. Really.
  3. Cook it for 30 seconds or so, until cheese melts and vinegar looks cloudy.
  4. Add mayonnaise, sour cream (or yogurt) and whisk it together.
  5. Add oil in little bursts and whisk together until emulsified. I used an immersion blender.
  6. Season with salt and pepper.
  7. Whatever you don't use can be kept in fridge for a couple days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis