Monday, July 6, 2009

Green Cathartic Pasta with Peas, Bacon, and Ricotta

My dear friend Dragon gave me a Giada de Laurentiis cookbook for my birthday. There's nothing I love more than a new unsullied cookbook to peruse at the counter, after a long day of work, sipping a glass of wine while the kids play.

I wanted to give my new Giada a whirl. Instead of the hominy stew I had planned for tonight (from my dear cookbook friend Jacques Pepin) (he's not a real friend, but I feel like he is as I trace the pages and write out ingredients for his recipes on my shopping list) I whipped up a Giada. Well, it's kind of a Giada, as I was missing several key ingredients. The title of the recipe is Tagliatelle with Smashed Peas, Sausage, and Ricotta Cheese. I had peas and ricotta, but not the full-fat, whole milk version she calls for. I also somehow lacked garlic. I was missing a lotta basil, too, as I am presently between plants.

But still, okay. Of the nine ingredients she called for I had 1.5. That's enough to give it a whirl.

My version was good, very good. Perfect for a weeknight dinner in a bowl. Although I limited it to peas tonight, the finished product is a little primavera-like. Any green, fresh veges (nothing too watery, I don't think, although maybe zucchini if drained well) would work, smashed or not. In fact, I think it would be splendid with lima beans. If I were really organized I would have grated a little lemon zest into the pan as well.

Vicki's Penne with Smashed Peas, Bacon, and Lowfat Ricotta Cheese
serves 4-6 (four easily with enough left over for somebody for lunch)

1 pound dried penne
1/2 pound bacon, chopped
1 pound frozen peas
1 cup low fat ricotta cheese
1 bunch of herby anything: basil, parsley, some rosemary (probably not ALL rosemary), oregano, or your favorite combination
1/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino
Freshly ground pepper to taste

Walk in the door from work and put on a big pot of salted water to boil for the pasta. When it's ready, throw in the pasta and put a measuring cup nearby so you remember to save a cup or so of the finished pasta water before you drain it.

Change your clothes and get a cold drink.

Put a large pot on the stove, heat it up, and throw in your bacon. Take your peas out of the freezer and thaw them in the microwave (it took me 2 minutes on each side on 60% power). Cook the until it's crispy, then take it out to drain on some paper towels. Get rid of that fat, unless, that is, you feel like having a heart attack later. Once the pot is ready and semi-bacon fat-free, throw in the peas and heat them up.

Think of somebody who made you really mad today. Take out your potato masher and imagine their face in green, cooking in your pan. Smash it! Smash those peas. Smoosh, sploosh, splat goes your anger. As you enact vegetable slaughter your hostility will melt away. Turn to your herbs. Chop them up. Not too fine! You want them to know who is boss, but you don't want to humiliate them into shreds. Green catharsis.

Now, check your pasta. If it's done, scoop out a cup of water and set it aside, then drain the rest. If it's not done, go back to your peas. Add your ricotta off the heat and stir. Once you finally have some drained pasta, throw that in, too. Add water in 2T increments until you have a lovely, creamy sauce. Then throw in your cheese and chopped herbs. Stir, add a little more water if need be, and serve.

Thanks, Dragon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis