Saturday, July 11, 2009

Watermelon Paletas

I'm not sure I mentioned our trip to Locopops in Raleigh. The owner's version of the Mexican paleta was life-altering, as the gang on Chowhounds suggested it would be. The mojito flavor, ah. Suffice it to say that the drool is running down my chin at the memory.

So, fast-forward two months. Instead of entertaining all weekend as planned, Little Machiatto and I went to Target to stock up on provisions since Little Latte is sick, sick, sick. I couldn't find any popsicles which looked even remotely appealing, but I did find popsicle molds. LM and I raced home and went to the Google Encylopedia of Cookery and found a recipe for watermelon paletas. It was courtesy of the The Kitchn. We just popped them in the freezer and drank the stuff we didn't have room for in the molds and it was mmmm mmmm good.

Here's what we did, slightly different from The Kitchn's version:

4 cups watermelon, chunked up
2 T (or so) key lime honey
grated zest one lime
2 T lime juice

Poured into molds and now freezing.

The NYTimes' Minimalist, Mark Bittman, had an intriguing banana version with a movie! Check it out. I think these will be next on our paleta tour.

Mexican Summer on a Stick

More than I ever thought I wanted to know about something I knew nothing about. Please, bring it on! LA Times, thank you. It captures my experience of biting into the mojito pop for the first time:

Paletas: Icy, spicy, cool

A few more ideas courtesy of Zemanta:


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis