Tuesday, September 29, 2009

My Brudda's Wife: Virtual Birthday Dinner


My Brudda, the Pork Master, is married. His wife, the Pork Mistress, is celebrating her birthday today. They live several states away. The Pork Master appears to be under the weather. He's sutained an injury, perhaps from basting pork.

I've been mulling over all day what I'd make for The Pork Mistress for her birthday, were she in town or were I nearer to her. Here's what I think I'd do:

While I'm throwing together dinner:
Marcona almonds and a gimlet

For dinner:
Vietnamese skirt steak with Vietnamese Chimichurri from the NYTimes food blog
A simple cucumber salad with paper thin slices of cucumber marinated in a little rice wine vinegar and splash of a vegetable oil, just a few lovely grains of cayenne
Simple coconut rice with a bit of finely diced candied ginger and a little retro chunk of pineapple atop

For dessert:
A cook the blog special: The plum crumble from Orangette. I made it this weekend with some prune plums I picked up from the orchard and oh, it is special. Just a hint of ginger from both candied and powdered. Not overly sweet. The crumble is a bit unusual in that the dry ingredients are mixed with an egg, then once spread over the fruit, melted butter is gently spooned atop. Lovely. Stayed crisp even in the fridge. This is definitely a keeper. A splash of cream or warm with ice cream? Heaven.

Happiest Birthday to the Pork Mistress. Many, many, many, many more. Bon appetit.

PS: The cheerful pillow-faced lady is the closest thing to a picture of me you're gonna see!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis