Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Kindle. Babies. Cookbooks.


Last summer, while I was studying for boards, I went to the beach. How else to make it bearable? I went with my dear friend, Dr. Fondant and her husband, who were pregnant. Dr. Fondant was also studying for boards. Every morning I'd drink a gallon of coffee, then head off to their condo overlooking the ocean to drink more coffee, look out the window, chat, and study. (We actually did study.)

Most evenings we had big communal happy summer meals. The kids would nibble, the adults would talk, the wine would flow (except for Dr. F), and we'd linger over dessert. Or rather, empty plates.

In the lovely house in which we stayed, there were two cookbooks. Cookbooks, I believe I've noted, are an addiction for me. I've inhaled quite a few. It takes something special now to get me interested. The two in the house were pretty nice, and had the bonus of being new, at least to me. When I wasn't studying, cooking, playing, swimming, touring, or sleeping, I browsed these cookbooks, leaning on the counter in the kitchen with a glass of wine; slouched on the sofa with coffee; leaning on an elbow at the table with a Moon Pie in my hand; or sipping an icy Diet Coke on the screened in back porch overlooking the marsh.

Fixated in my mind is a relaxing vacation--relaxing! studying for boards! miraculous--sun, sand, great food, dear friends, and the happy promise of a little baby. A bubble week of civilized epicurean romping. Besides visiting the pictures (which I still am editing) how to revisit?

I got an email this week about a Kindle and New York Times subscription for a mere $500. Tempting. I'm sorely tempted by the Kindle. I'm certain I'd have to buy a killer new bag to carry it and all my other gear in. Aha! A reason to shop.To have my library with me everywhere plus have the New York Times at my fingers . . . Wow. Five hundred dollars ain't nothin', though, and would I really, really love it?

Two other things arrived in the last week. First, the baby! Warm, snugly, handsome, sweet, and delicious. How are we swallowed whole by these small dear creatures? Second, one of the beach cookbooks, Eating Outdoors, by Lindy Wildsmith arrived in brown paper wrapper. I peeled it open and jumped into the pages, secured for a moment away from snotty, chaotic, busy, febrile, and laundry in a happy, languid, sunny, briny, shrimpy reverie. I trailed my fingers across the pages, photos, recipes and visited with my vacation, a happy little world. I sighed, closed the book, and came back to my present, bigger and fuller with a new little being to adore.

Can I do that with a Kindle?

I don't know. I leave you with the recipe for what is now almost always my first meal at the beach. It takes all of 20 minutes to make and plop on the table, perfect after you've driven for hours, unpacked groceries and kids and towels and flipflops. Add crusty bread, a bottle of wine, a salad if you have time, or fresh corn on the cob and it's a feast.

Spicy Shrimp. Yummy and fun, fun, fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis