Thursday, February 26, 2009

Bonus Recipe this Week!

We skipped pizza on Monday night's dinner plan so by last night I had to come up with an additional recipe for the week. Since my brother was visiting and it was his last night here, I wanted the dinner to be really great. It was. I served grilled beef tenderloin steaks with PassYouBy Peppercorn Sauce, roasted dilled potatoes and broccoli. I gave up sweets for Lent so we skipped dessert. (This is going to be a looooooong six weeks.)

The Peppercorn Sauce recipe follows, but first, here are the notes I have written on the card from The Wooden Box:
10/96 Mr. and Dr. Latte-Dr. Latte made this TOTALLY YUMMY. I loved it, my husband loved it. Try it when mom is here, she will love it too.
10/96 Fixed it for mom. She loved it too!
10/04 Dinner at the Casey's-served with skirt steak-loved by all!
7/07 Caseys at our house-they still love it. Served with Tri Tip
12/07 Husband's grad school advisor and wife for dinner.
and so on.....

PassYouBy Peppercorn Sauce
2 T unsalted butter
1/4 cup chopped shallots
1/3 cup brandy (I had to ask Mr. Casey to bring some over, I was out; I knew he'd have some!)
1 cup beef stock (or broth)
1 cup whipping cream
1 T four-peppercorn blend, freshly ground (or more!)

Melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and saute until golden, about 8 minutes. Add brandy and bring to a boil. Add stock and boil until mixture is reduced to 1 cup, about 5 minutes. Add whipping cream and peppercorn; cook over medium heat until reduced to sauce consistency, about 8 minutes. Taste, adding more peppercorn if necessary (the more the better!)

3 comments:

  1. I wish I could remember eating this. It sounds incredible. Do you want me to post the recipe for raw meatloaf?

    I believe you had three of the four dessert food groups in your recipe: butter, cream, and booze. Who needs sugar?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe it was Meatloaf TarTar, and sure, why not?

    And btw--I don't think you were Mr. & Dr. back then. I don't even think you were Mr. & Mrs. back then. Wow, pre-nuptials and pre-doctor. We have known each other a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say in the raw meatloaf's defense that the SAUCE that comes with it is amazing. If my feet could be buried in that; one hand in your peppercorn sauce; and one hand in a big vat of blue cheese....How stinkily macabre.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis