Wednesday, February 25, 2009

What I did with my summer vacation, er, I mean Greek Yogurt

Ok, PassYouBy. Here is what I do with Greek Yogurt:

  1. I mix it with a little caramel sauce and vanilla extract and call it breakfast or a sauce for fruit, which we use for dessert. My kids use it as a fruit dip, too.
  2. Mix it with buttermilk in equal amounts and leave it on the counter for a few hours to thicken up and use it as a creme fraiche substitute
  3. Use in instead of sour cream in nearly anything: baked potatoes, nachos, chili, dips, curries, etc.
  4. Serve plain, perhaps thinned a bit with milk or buttermilk, over fruit with a slather of honey.
  5. One of my kids' favorite breakfasts is mashed banana, Greek yogurt, cinnamon, and vanilla extract mushed together.
  6. When I don't have buttermilk for pancakes, but do have yogurt, I thin it a bit with regular milk and substitute.
  7. I have a recipe somewhere for a white bread that uses yogurt as the liquid. It's very good. Where is that recipe? I should make that. Bread would be good.
  8. I haven't make frozen yogurt with it yet, but I'm going to. I have a recipe for banana pudding ice cream--like the fabulous banana pudding in the south--with homemade vanilla wafers, etc. I'll just bet that the tang of the yogurt would be just fabulous.
  9. Somewhere I have a recipe for a yogurt barley soup that is really good. I should make that, too. It's a Moosewood recipe.
  10. Nigella Lawson has a dip recipe I have to dig up with like pickles and all kinds of very 70s retro ingredients. I use Greek yogurt in that and love it. I should find that recipe and make it this weekend.
  11. Last, but not least, there's equal quantities of cream cheese plus yogurt, a little bit of feta, spread out thin on matzo. Oh, how I love that. I lived on that in medical school. Well, that and pancakes, Doritos, coffee, Diet Coke, and M&Ms.


No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis