Thursday, February 19, 2009

It's a Funny Thing About Beets

Yesterday I bought some beautiful looking organic beets. I've never cooked beets before so I sent my pal, Dr. Latte, a note and asked what Step 2 was, given that I'd completed Step 1 of serving beets-purchasing them.

She gave me her nomal, great, advice which was to cut the tops off, peel them, wrap them in foil and roast; serve with a nice citrus-y vinaigrette. The beets came out most delicious.

A few hours later I was at a book group meeting and mentioned the Beets. A friendly gal I had never met (it was my first time to this book group and I hadn't met any of the friendly gals, actually) told me a story about the first time she made beets for her husband, 20 years ago. The next day he was convinced he was dying; blood in his urine and, well, you know the other. After much laughter, she let him know that these symptoms were simply the side effect of the prior night's beets. I thanked her for letting me know, just in case.

When I got home from the meeting, my husband was pensive. Finally he said, "When I went to the bathroom it was a little pink." He was worried. Like, sick worried. I am not kidding or exaggerating this story one iota. This really happened. After much laughter he hugged me; thankful to know he would live to see the light of another day! Then he said, "Let's stick to tomatoes from now on!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis