Monday, February 16, 2009

So Far, I've Planned

Hey Hey Ice-Ice baby...

I've done my first task of the week...planned the week's dinner menu. I always feel good when, at the start of my day, I know how it ends, food-wise. I can't say that I always follow it; sometimes I just don't get around to whatever it takes to get it on the table and I announce (to much glee) "Breakfast for Dinner!" However, if you fail to plan, you plan to fail, and failure I do not plan!

My weekly planning process is sheer delight for someone like me. First, I sit down with my calendar and figure out who is where and at what time during dinner each night. Then I sift through hundreds of recently clipped recipes to come up with the handful I want to try and slot them into appropriate days, depending on time, preparation, advanced planning, etc.

I usually make 5 or so new dinner recipes a week. Yes, that's right, I almost never make the same thing twice. If a recipe knocks my socks off...I mean *Knocks*My*Socks*Off* I will save it in my wooden recipe file box and make it again to impress company or my kids. If my house is burning down, please save the wooden recipe box.

Here are this week's meals. Each one looks pretty promising to me, but we won't know until the week is through. I'll be sure to post any that *Knock*My*Socks*Off*

Monday - Burgundy Steak (this one is cooking right now and does, indeed, smell delicious)
Tuesday - Chicken Cordon Bleu Bake (my husband hates casseroles; I love them. Every now and then I sneak one in)
Wednesday - Crumb Coated Ranch Chicken (I may use Ceasar dressing instead of ranch)
Thursday - Spaghetti (Crock Pot Sauce Recipe!) To be served with yummy, buttery, garlic bread and salad.
Friday - Pork Tenderloin Kebabs (meat, fruit, and veggies all on the skewer!)

Happy Eating!

Note to our Dear Readers: IcedLatte is a doctor, I, PassYouBy, am an accountant. She cooks by feel and look and smell, and knows, understands, and LOVES the science of cooking. I, on the otherhand, do not understand the first thing about the science of anything and am simply a terrific recipe-follower. But, in the end, we both succeed at showing our love and affection to those at our table with food, glorious food!

3 comments:

  1. Couple things:

    PYB: You know you've known somebody for a long time if they live at the other side of a continent from you and you know JUST WHAT wooden box they're talking about!

    "Fail to plan, plan to fail" is SO you.

    E: What is your beef with casseroles?

    PYB: I want every recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boodles and Neef (which is what my boys now call Burgundy Steak): I of course tripled this recipe.

    Toss a pound of boneless beef sirloin steak cut into chunks in flour and paprika in a zip top bag. (I used NY strip because it was WAY on sale today) Brown in hot oil. Add a can of condensed French onion soup, undiluted and 1/2 cup burgundy wine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 12 minutes or so until sauce is thickened. Serve over egg noodles with broccoli.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's doable after work, girlfriend! How would it play with peas, do you think? That's the vege of choice here at the moment.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis