Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The BFS (Big "Family" Salad)

Not far from where I live there is a house with a giant rock in the yard. I don't mean big. I don't mean huge. Frankly, I don't really even mean giant. I mean, it is one Big Effing Rock. In fact, it is known as the BFR around here.

A few years ago, when it seemed likely that, as the mother of boys, camping would figure prominently into our vacation plans, we traded in our 4-man tent (which is really a 2-man tent, come on!) for a bigger one. The side of the box read "10-man Vacation Home." We have nicknamed our tent the BFT, or Big "Friendly" Tent. (And btw, "10-man" really translates int0 "4-man with room for your stuff".)

Recently, I conconcted a wonderful salad for my family. To my surprise and delight my boys loved it! Wanted it every other day or so! Gobbled up veggies like it was a bowl of pop rocks and gummy worms! This salad is now a regular on our dinner menu and has been dubbed the BFS, or Big "Family" Salad.

I now use a dictionary regularly to find appropriate "F words" to slip between the B and the S for everyday things. My boys howl everytime we come up with a new one. Here is the recipe for one Big Effing Salad:

The BFS (Big "Family" Salad)

Lots of lettuces, always romaine and red leaf, never iceberg, and usually something along the lines of a "spring mix"
Hand full or so of shredded cabbage
Carrots, shaved into thick pieces with a potato peeler
Cucumbers
Cherry tomatoes
Red or green onions
Celery
Dried cranberries
Toasted sugared walnuts
Crumbled goat cheese
Sprinkle of dried dill
Deep fried chicken tenders from the hot foods section of the grocery store deli, cut into 1-inch pieces (this is the real draw, so I use this liberally!)
Ken's Honey Mustard dressing

Toss it all together and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis