Friday, March 13, 2009

*KYSO* Pasta with Sausage Tomatoes and Cream

I finally cooked yesterday after about a week of FFY dinners at my house ("Fend For Yourself", which roughly translated means, "Mom got too busy today and you will probably have cereal for dinner").

As I stood at the stove, my older son (age 13) said "Mom's at her post and all is right with the world". I guess they missed the cooking. I guess I have a "post"!

They all loved this one, as they have everytime I've made it, dating back to March 2007:

(Just so you know, I actually doubled the recipe below, but instead of doubling the sausage, I added a can of white beans, rinsed and drained. I felt very Dr. IcedLatte-like, improvising like that!)

Pasta with Sausage Tomatoes and Cream

2 T olive oil
1 pound bulk italian sausage
1/2 t dried crushed red pepper
1 cup chopped onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes with added puree
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 pound pasta (I used penne, but the original recipe called for farfalle)
1/2 cup packed chopped fresh basil
Grated parmesan cheese

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and crushed red pepper. Saute until sausage is no longer pink, breaking into chunks. Add onion and garlic (and beans if you are adding them); saute 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and cream. Reduce heat to low; simmer until mixture thickens, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender but firm to bite. Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid. Return pasta to same pot.

Add sausage mixture to pasta; toss over medium heat, adding reserved cooking liquid by 1/4 cupfuls if dry. Transfer pasta to serving dish. Sprinkle with basil. Serve, passing cheese separately.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis