Sunday, March 15, 2009

Salad Dressing Sunday

Today is my favorite day of the week: The day I get to methodically map out the week and get organized to be sure the house runs smoothly while the rest of us just run. I've identified the week's recipes mapped carefully to who is home, who is not, and most importantly, how much time I have, and when, to get dinner on the table.

There are a few things I do each weekend to prep for the week:
  • Hard boil 4-5 eggs (snacks, salads)
  • Roast chicken, then cut it all down for recipes and store what I won't be using Sunday or Monday in the freezer
  • Wash, rinse and cut veggies for the week. Especially lettuces.
  • Cook a pound of pasta and butter it. This is the "go to" lunch for my kids' thermos' in case there are no leftovers from the night before.
  • Make salad dressing(s)

This week I made Cracked Peppercorn Parmesan, Thousand Island and Oriental Salad Dressing based on what I think we may have a taste for.

I'm using the Oriental Salad Dressing tonight in this super duper yummy salad:

Oriental Cabbage Salad

  • 3 T butter
  • 4 oz slivered almonds
  • Oriental or Chicken Sesame Ramen-gently crush noodles and set aside flavor packet
  • 1/3 cup sesame seeds

Melt butter and brown almonds and noodles from Ramen. Add sesame seeds in last couple of minutes. Set on a paper towel to cool.

Medium-large cabbage, chopped

Dressing-combine the following in a jar and shake well

  • 1 T soy sauce
  • 1/4 t sesame oil
  • 1/3 cup veg. oil
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
  • Ramen flavor packet

Toss Ramen mixture, cabbage and dressing right before serving.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis