Monday, March 9, 2009

To counteract the French Toast Casserole....Grilled Salmon on Mango Salad

We had a fairly crazy food weekend. I actually had a fried baloney sandwich! It wasn't very good. I didn't eat much of it. I did, however, eat all five onion rings which came with it.

I did penance last night by eating a ton of salad. Today I started my new vegan-by-day diet plus iced latte and pretzels. It's based on Mark Bittman's intriguing diet idea: vegan by day, anything goes after 6pm.

It's modified for me, of course, because I'm special and need iced lattes in the morning. I also need to eat a lot of pretzels at work when I get stressed out, which is every minute. Today, along with the big salty hard pretzels I had a banana and a ton of celery, red peppers, and cucumbers. Plus iced tea with Meyer lemon, thanks much PassYouBy. I also had to have a chocolate covered caramel and about 10 wintergreen Lifesavers. But other than the milk, pretzels, caramel, chocolate, and Lifesavers . . .  I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow. I have no vegetables chopped and four loads of laundry to do. I suspect the laundry will win the battle for my heart, er, I mean time.

For dinner we had a not bad salad that included not a drop of dairy. Here's how it went:

Grilled Salmon on Mango Pea Salad

2 salmon filets, oiled and dusted with some rub or other I found in the spice collection
1 1/2 heads Boston lettuce, cleaned and torn into bite-sized peices
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
1 cup frozen corn, thawed
1 mango, sliced up quite thinly
Salted, roasted pepitas, about 1/2 cup

While I grilled the salmon (about 2 minutes a side) I tossed the lettuce, peas, corn, pepitas, and mango in the following dressing (which made extra for a salad later this week);

2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon mustard (a Dijon but not a strong one)
1 tablespoon Major Grey's Chutney
Pinch salt
1 teaspoon cumin

Served with lettuce on the bottom, salmon laid lovingly on top. Even the kids ate it (although I divided the individual parts up on their plates).

I need something now with butter and cream. Hmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis